After earning this badge, you will be (better) able to
- Describe several best practices for student response systems,
- Write questions that require higher order thinking, and
- Use a software-based student response system.
Clickers are small hand-held units that students use to respond to questions posed in class. This technique is sometimes called "polling." Software-based alternatives like Poll Everywhere let students respond with a cell phone or laptop, eliminating the need to purchase a dedicated clicker. This genre of technology is called a Student Response System or Classroom Response System.
Reflect on what you learned and make some notes for later writing. These prompts may help:
- I chose this badge because ...
- Using a response system to take attendance is ...
- From my own experience ...
- Using smartphones or laptops for student responses in class is ...
- I was surprised by the idea that ...
LEARN how to use Poll Everywhere
TRY IT OUT
- Carefully formulate TWO questions in your discipline,
each from a different category on Bruff's taxonomy
- Enter each question into Poll Everywhere
- Capture a screen image for each question
[how to take a screenshot / capture the screen on your device]
- Have at least SIX people respond to your questions on a mobile device.
The respondents can be students, friends, family members, etc.
- For each question, capture and upload a screen image of the response summary
Write a reflection of at least 250 words.
These additional prompts may help:
- Coming up with questions was ...
- The experience of creating challenging questions was ...
- It's important for students to know ...
- Now that I know about ... I will ... differently
- I had never tried ... , and it ended up ...
- I expect to ... in order to learn more about ...
- I chose ... for my question topic because ...